12/14/09

The "And Yet" Crossroads


I dwell each day, beg for my bread, by the sign of the “And Yet” Crossroad
I have seen many things
Many princes and kings
So I feel that I must sing this ode
To the left we have: Pleasant and Yet Unexpected
You may be surprised
But come see with your eyes
That this is the one most neglected
To the right we behold a shady old road
Called: Dangerous and Yet Rewarding
This is the path
That royalty hath
Taken, adventure affording
I croak out “Beware! Beware ye my friends!
“This shan’t be the road thou shalt take!
“For no one’s returned, we know not how it ends
“Turn back! Turn back for your sake!”
I’ve been laughed at and scorned
“Adventure I seek!”
They cry with a malignant laugh
“No one can stop me; I will reach Fame’s Peak!”
“Your life” say I ‘neath a cough.
And they never return
And I don’t know why
And, truthfully, I do not care
But sometimes alone
I sit and I sigh
And wonder why don’t I dare
Why is it just the princes?
Or the third sons?
The tailors, the apprentices, all?
Why is it that they are the ones?
Do just they hear some secret call?
I’m not the youngest, I know that. All right?!
My midday is gone; I’m most near my night
I’m too old for adventure! I cry with a gasp
My heart thud-thudding agreement
I think of my life, I think of my past
I shake my head, my resolve cement
I look up at the sign
And Yet! It proclaims
To the one with ailing heart
We have something Pleasant
But Unexpected in name
I shrug, and down that road I depart

No comments:

Post a Comment