11/9/09

"Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte


Whew! It was my weekend project and I DID it! Mostly due to the fact that I was grounded, but I DID IT! I haven’t read anything REAL in soooooooooo long. I’m on this Battling Braindead-ness kick, where I work on my grades really hard and attempt to do brain-stimulating things.
So, it was a good book. I liked it. What I hated was that I couldn’t read it fast enough to finish it in one sitting. I hate coming back to a book later; I forget the original feeling that the beginning makes sure that you have and creates a mood for the rest of the book. Plus, I easily forget who people are. That’s one reason why I hated Harry Potter; they’d mention some Death Eater that I guess was important and I was all “Who?”
I stayed up until 3:30 AM reading it, then spent the rest of Sunday on it. The thing was, I expected to like it more than I actually did. Don’t get me wrong; I could read it again which is saying a lot since I hardly ever reread books. But I expected to feel some Great Feeling that I never felt. Sure, it was captivating but, oddly enough, it reminded me a bit of Twilight. Now, don’t give me that face. I read Twilight, yes. And the most poignant part was how utterly confused was Bella’s version of love. Edward and Heathcliff; disturbingly similar characters. What upset me was the Edgar’s love for Catherine was so true and yet it was never treated as such by the narrator. It was made out, in every voice, to be a petty simpering thing that only a weak heart could offer. But he loved her, and loved her in a healthy way which was beyond what you could say about Heathcliff. (A suggestion, if you want to read about true love, read “A Long and Fatal Love Chase” by Louisa May Alcott)
Honestly, I hated Catherine. Cathy was alright, but Catherine and Linton were such manipulative characters that I couldn’t help but hate them both. I believe that Catherine deliberately drove herself insane, and thus to her death, simply because she wanted the world to be as miserable as she believed herself to be. Stupid girl.
Isn’t it peculiar how Heathcliff has no other name? When he had to write down his first and last name did he write “Heathcliff Heathcliff”?
He was a rather complicated character, as there are paragraphs were he seems rather civil, but only because of some selfish or manipulative reason. It appears that, even when just a small boy, he was rather awful. As he grew into a youth he became a brat. When he grew to be a man, he became a monster. Catherine said as much, and yet she stayed by him even until she died. Stupid girl.
I think I cannot stand characters that are overly selfish or overly stupid. Selfish characters never seem to bring anything happy to the story. Not that there NEEDS to always be something happy, but people ought to have SOME redeeming quality to them, and selfish characters never do.
But I’m glad of the happy ending. I had expected it to end horribly, with everyone dead. The majority of the characters died, but it was taken at such a pace and with such a practical voice that one could hardly feel really sad at the end.
I think my favorite person, besides Hareton, was Mr. Lockwood, the “sort of” narrator. Especially at the beginning. He seemed funny and full of himself; one a jolly quality and the other a quality that redeems itself even while it condemns. Nelly wasn’t so bad either, but she seemed to change as the book went on, until she was betraying her mistresses to her masters over and over. It’s a wonder they still trusted her with all that they did.
I could go deeper into Wuthering Heights, but I think many people already have. And besides, I have food waiting for me upstairs to eat. Yummy!

Piddly Little Quote
I absolutely adored Wuthering Heights and fell in love with Heathcliff as most girls do.
-Margaret Forster

No comments:

Post a Comment